One worker was killed and another sustained non-life threatening injuries in a workplace accident at the Lake Conroe resort.
CONROE, Texas – A worker was electrocuted and another was shocked Thursday in what police call an industrial accident at a resort on Lake Conroe.
The incident occurred at Margaritaville Lake Resort on Lake Conroe.
The surviving victim suffered burns to his hands and is expected to recover, police say. A third worker was nearby but was not injured.
Police said the crew were doing underground electrical work at the time. The deceased worker was leaning against a manhole when something happened, causing electricity to ignite, creating a sound similar to an explosion. The worker who burned his hands was holding threads behind the other worker.
Guests were evacuated from Margaritaville and energy officials said it could take several days for the area to be safe enough for them to return.
Officials said the station lost power last week, at one point for more than 24 hours. It is not known if the work done on Thursday was related to these outages.
Marsha and Cameron Mcculler had just checked in before they were told they had to leave, but luckily they found a backup.
“We’re going to go to his mother’s house. We’re going to visit parents, so it’s okay, “Marsha Mcculler said.” Our kids are disappointed. “
Margaritaville Lake Resort released this statement about the incident:
The team at Margaritaville Lake Resort, Lake Conroe | Houston express their thoughts and prayers to those involved in today’s unfortunate accident.
“Shortly after 3 p.m., two contractors from our energy supplier were doing electrical work on the property when an incident occurred.
“Police, firefighters and emergency medical teams immediately responded to the scene. Out of respect for individuals and their families, all matters should be referred to local authorities.
“Due to the incident, there is currently no electricity in the complex.”