Lake Shore Drive shooting: 21-month-old Kayden Swann emerged from coma, still on a ventilator

CHICAGO (WLS) – A 21-month-old boy who was gunned down on Lake Shore Drive on Tuesday was pulled out of a induced coma but remained on a ventilator on Saturday.

Doctors at Lurie Children’s Hospital said Kayden Swann “continues to show positive improvements”, although he is still in critical condition in the pediatric intensive care unit.

While he is still on a ventilator to “help him with his breathing and other critical therapies”, doctors felt it was prudent to get him out of a coma, according to a statement from Dr Marcelo Malakooti, ​​director doctor in the pediatric intensive care unit of the hospital.

Swann was gunned down around 11 a.m. on April 6 on Lake Shore Drive near Grant Park after a road rage conflict turned violent, police said.

Prosecutors said the altercation began when an SUV attempted to reach Lake Shore Drive near Soldier Field and nearly collided with the car Swann was in.

Jushawn Brown, a 43-year-old man in a relationship with Swann’s grandmother, was behind the wheel of Swann’s car and had a verbal argument with the driver of the SUV, which escalated when the two pulled out their weapons, prosecutors said.

Brown eventually pulled away, but the driver of the SUV still shot the car, one of which punctured the rear passenger window and hit Swann in the head.

Brown was slapped on gun charges in connection with the incident and released on $ 5,000 bail.

The driver of the SUV was not stopped.

Brown, told ABC7 his side of the story of the Lake Shore Drive shooting last Tuesday, which conflicts with his now ex-girlfriend’s account.

“I was heading north on Lake Shore Drive through Soldier Field and going far right, you know how the lane merges, a car was accelerating quickly, probably going over 55-60 miles an hour,” Jushawn Brown said. .

Brown said another vehicle nearly struck him. He said he pulled the SUV aside, telling the driver to slow down. Brown spoke to ABC7 Thursday evening as he was released from custody on a firearms charge.

“When I pulled back to get away from him, that’s when he started shooting,” Brown said. “Shot about five times. “

Although Brown admits he had a gun on him, he said he never shot the other vehicle.

“No. No, not once. They checked me for gun residue, everything. I didn’t shoot my gun,” he said.

But in an exclusive interview with ABC 7, Brown’s ex-girlfriend Quiana Farr blames him squarely, saying he shot the SUV first.

“It’s all about the float and weave in traffic,” Farr said. “It wouldn’t. He was the initiator of this.”

“He started this whole situation,” said Clifton Marvel, Kayden’s great-grandfather. “If he hadn’t shot that other vehicle, none of this would have happened.”

Brown said his girlfriend was hysterical about the situation, especially once she realized the toddler had been shot, so it was possible that she thought he shot, but insisted firmly that he had never done so.

In response to Brown’s comments, Marvel reiterated that Brown fired his gun.

But in court on Thursday, prosecutors said there were no casings to prove Jushawn Brown had previously fired his gun.

Police said this was part of their ongoing investigation and would not say whether the driver of the SUV is in custody.

WATCH | Chicago police take stock of dead child shot on Lake Shore Drive

“There was a line up last night where my daughter was able to identify the other shooter in the other vehicle,” Marvel said.

One thing the former couple agree on is their love for 21-month-old Kayden, who remains sedated in intensive care.

“How do I feel about this baby? I love my grandson,” Brown said. “He loves me.”

“I can’t sleep,” Farr said. “I can’t close my eyes. It’s like a nightmare. It repeats itself over and over again.”

The Sun Times Wire contributed to this report

Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.


Comments are closed.