Toddler in Lake Shore Drive filming gets better with family, condition differs on what drove him


This is an archived article and the information in the article may be out of date. Please look at the timestamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — A man has been charged in a shooting that injured a toddler on Lake Shore Drive after a road rage incident.

Kayden Swann, 21 months, was shot in the head Tuesday on Lake Shore Drive. Police said Jushawn Brown, 43, who was driving, was arrested for having an unregistered firearm after the shooting.

Brown, Kayden’s grandmother’s boyfriend, was charged with unlawful possession and use of a weapon. Police did not arrest the other shooter involved.

Authorities said the other vehicle involved in the road rage incident fired the first shots, but great-grandfather Clifton Marvel said Brown fired first.

“He initiated all of this, if he had just taken a minute it would never have happened,” he said.

However, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, in a bond offer, believes the man in the SUV fired the shots.

Police recovered 10 casings from the scene and ballistics concluded that all casings were fired from the same gun and were not Brown’s firearm.

Brown was released on bail Thursday night, which was set at $5,000, on a charge of unlawful use of a weapon. Police said he faces this charge because he does not have a valid registration for his gun.

On Thursday, the hospital released a statement saying doctors had successfully removed some of the sedation drugs needed to protect Kayden’s brain. They said some brain activity was coming back to him.

“We are delighted to see Kayden recovering as he demonstrates some return of brain activity,” said Dr. Marcelo Malakooti, ​​Associate Chief Medical Officer and Medical Director at Lurie Children’s Hospital.

He said it was still too early to make “a meaningful prediction about his full recovery”. However, he said they are very optimistic about the signs they are seeing. He remains in critical condition in the pediatric intensive care unit.

Speaking to WGN News on Tuesday evening, Kayden’s family members said the boy’s condition was improving.

“The bullet went in and out,” Marvel said. “He’s been in surgery. “Looks like he’ll be fine.”

On Wednesday, attending physician Kayden said he was in a medical coma to protect his brain and remained on a ventilator.

Chicago Police Department Commander Jake Alderden said the shooting was apparently a road rage incident.

Police say the incident began around 11 a.m. near Soldier Field on Lake Shore Drive, when a vehicle would not let another vehicle merge.

Kayden was in a vehicle with her grandmother and her boyfriend. Police say shots were fired and the Kayden vehicle was in the back of a Lexus SUV.

Another witness said the grandmother’s boyfriend fought back.

The driver of the Lexus, who did not wish to be identified, spoke to WGN after the frantic scene and said she heard someone say her baby had been shot.

Kayden was shot in the right temple, police say.

Police say a Good Samaritan driving a Tesla transported Kayden and her family to the hospital.

Kayden’s great-grandfather says he wants to meet with Mayor Lori Lightfoot and Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown to talk about the violence in the city.

Read more Chicago News headlines here


Comments are closed.